Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Interesting" egg salad

Breakfast: Killer smoothie with soy milk, banana, oats, honey, blueberries, blackberries and cinnamon

Lunch: Beetroot soup with feta

Dinner: Carrot salad, burgers, couscous and "interesting" egg salad


Today, I had to learn how to boil an egg. Pathetic, but true.

When I was a kid I was a ridiculously fussy eater, and so was my brother. Though we've both since branched into eating almost anything, there are some things that neither of us can stomach, even now. One of them is eggs in egg form.

Don't get me wrong, I love scrambled eggs, and I am even working on poached eggs, but even now the idea of eating a boiled egg holds about as much appeal for me as spending an evening with David Cameron talking about class and economics. I had to constant fight off efforts to make me try this salad while I was making it - so the above food list is sort of a lie, but I'm sure you won't mind.

Why the egg salad, then? Well, this recipe was invented after my good friend Amy requested an "interesting" egg salad post. I took "interesting" to mean "healthy and different". The removal of mayonnaise for sour cream I think hits both this goals - believe it or not, sour cream has about half the fat content of mayonnaise - and avocado and nuts are everyone's best friend, so you can eat this with minimum guilt. I think I'll just watch.

You'll need
(Feeds 2 or 1 hungry person)
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1 avocado, cut into chunks
1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
black pepper

Method:
Mix everything together in a bowl

My surrogate mouth for this one (please ignore how horribly disgusting that sounds) was Putin, who was instrumental in taking this recipe from "it tastes like this weird shit I used to eat when I was a kid....green borscht, that was it" to "yeah I'm taking all of it for lunch, is that ok?". Thanks for your help Putin, and yes I'll make it again.

2 comments:

  1. I make egg salad with pesto instead of mayonnaise... put it on toasted bread with some nice sliced tomato (or roasted if you're feeling fancy)... soooo tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god that sounds amazing! I will definitely be trying that next time I'm making this for Putin! And roasted tomato....always the classy way!

    ReplyDelete