Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Black bean and brown rice soup

Breakfast: Fruit smoothie and grits!

Lunch: Black bean and brown rice soup

Dinner: Faux fish and fried plantains


Hello readers! Yes, I am back from my galavanting with a tan, some body painting and a lot of gusto. Did you miss me? I hope you've been eating well.

So I was lucky enough to spend 2 fantastic weeks in Panama, during which I stayed with an amazing friend of mine. We took the opportunity to cook some great meals, several of which had to be not only vegan but also gluten-free and not too sugary, due to my friend's Crohn's disease and a potential flare up. This was one of the recipes that was right on the money, AND tasted great too!

You'll need:
(Feeds 4)
2 red onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 red pepper, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 tin black beans, drained
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp thyme
6 cups vegetable stock (make sure it's gluten-free)
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
olive oil
black pepper

Method:
Place the brown rice in a pan with 4 cups water and bring to the boil
Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked
While the rice is cooking, fry the garlic and onions in a little oil until browned
Add in the red pepper, orange pepper, carrot and celery, along with the cumin, cayenne pepper and thyme
Stir to coat and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes
Add the vegetable stock into the pan and simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender
Stir in the black beans and balsamic vinegar and cook for 5 more minutes
When the brown rice is finished, divide between 4 bowls, then divide the soup and pour on top of the rice
Season and serve!

This was a great and filling lunch, and not too hot despite the heat of the day. I'm excited to make it now I'm back home and it is simply too cold.

1 comment:

  1. How would I prepare this if I wanted to start with dry black beans? I never used canned foods. Thank you

    ReplyDelete