Tuesday, November 15, 2011

More Veggies Week day 2: Russian vinaigrette salad

Breakfast: Vegan flax cereal with bananas and blueberries

Lunch: Tofu burgers with Russian vinaigrette salad 

Dinner: Potato soup with crusty bread and steamed greens


Though I'm not Russian, this salad is a very 'family meal' dish for me, as it's my go-to dish at all Putin's family gatherings! Back when my vegetarianism was still pretty strange to his Ukrainian family I would eat tons of this, before wolfing down far too much of that awesome cake.

It's not exactly quick to make, but if you make a bunch it can keep you going as a side dish for 3 or 4 nights, and it's very mild in its flavours without being boring.

You'll need:
Feeds 4 as a side:
4 beets
5 potatoes
3 carrots, peeled
3 pickles
1 cup peas
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbsp white vinegar
salt
pepper
Method:
Peel the beets, chop into quarters and boil for 60 minutes
Chop the potatoes into large chunks
In a different pan, boil the potatoes and carrots for 30 minutes
Drain all vegetables and allow to cool
Cook the peas in a pan for 3-4 minutes
When cooled, chop the potatoes, carrots and beets, as well as the pickles, into small uniform pieces and place in a bowl with the peas
Toss with the olive oil and white vinegar, and season to taste

This is a great way to get some beet-y goodness into your diet if you're not keen on beet soup or juices. Also, I absolutely detest pickles bur I love this salad, so if pickles had any nutritional value, this would also be a good thing. As it stands, I'm not sure they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment