Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Vegan avocado stuffed peppers

Breakfast: Blueberry and banana smoothie

Lunch: Seven grain salad and sweet potato and cranberry salad from the wonderful Sun Valley

Dinner: Vegan avocado stuffed peppers on a bed of spinach



Don't you love those meals that not only fill you up and give you tons of energy, but make you go "Why don't I make this more often?" when you're done? This is certainly one of those.

I'm not sure if I've ever made stuffed peppers before, but this was a recipe just thrown together on the spur of the moment and it turned out beautifully. I will definitely be adding it into regular rotation.

You'll need:
(Feeds 2)
1/2 cup brown rice
2 red peppers
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup sweetcorn
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1 ripe avocado, cut into chunks

Method:
Cook the brown rice according to packet instructions
Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celcius
Cut the tops off the peppers (but don't throw away) and discard the insides
Dry fry the zucchini in a pan until it goes a little translucent
Drain the sweetcorn and add it to the pan
Add the cooked rice, tomato paste and paprika to the pan and stir it all together
Take off the heat, stir in the avocado, and then spoon into the peppers
Put the stuffed peppers, with the lid back on, onto a baking tray and cook for one hour, until the pepper skins are browning
Serve on a bed of spinach or couscous with the lids still on!

A little cheat's tip: I cook these by standing them up inside a loaf tin and then putting that in the oven. It encourages them to stay stood up!

You might have noticed there's no oil in this - that's due to a conscious effort to use less oil in my cooking. Not only am I trying to break a bad habit, but it also means I don't get half as many oil burns, because I am innately stupid and never learn my lesson about hot oil being bad.

2 comments: