Thursday, October 13, 2011

Almond butter frosting

Breakfast: Scrambled tofu with spinach and mushrooms

Lunch: A couscous salad followed by vegan cupcakes with almond butter frosting

Dinner: A falafel wrap from vegetarian's friend, Gazhale!



I have extolled the virtues of nut butters on this site for some time now, and I'm unlikely to stop anytime soon. What I am likely to do though is to find new ways to use them until every single one of my recipes contains almond butter to some degree. Well, maybe it won't go that far, but I've already got that particular one into a cupcake recipe.

It was my lovely friend Jackson's birthday last weekend and I made these vegan cupcakes with almond butter frosting, which was adapted from a peanut butter frosting recipe I had long ago. Due to the unseasonal heat and the oiliness of the almond butter I used, this frosting was less viscous than I'd hoped, but if you're hoping to create designs with this, just add more and more icing sugar until the desired consistency is reached.

Oh, and you really do need a mixer for this; or at least a coffee grinder, which is what I used!

You'll need:
(Frosts 12 cupcakes)
3/4 cup good quality 100% almond butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 tbsp vegan margarine
2 tbsp milk

Method:
Place everything in a mixer and blend until your desired consistency is reached
Frost both vanilla and chocolate cupcakes for ultimate almond frosting experience

These went down a treat, and the leftover frosting got eaten very quickly....by someone else (ahem).

No comments:

Post a Comment