Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lemon and leek linguine

Breakfast: Oatmeal smoothie

Lunch: Kasha salad with red peppers, onions, spinach and almonds

Dinner: Lemon and leek linguine


I am very much guilty of falling into a bit of a rut when it comes to pasta. I hardly ever make it, and when I do, it's usually doused in a fairly standard (but equally delicious) tomato-based sauce.

I was overjoyed, then, when my sister-in-law Helen gave me this recipe, which I think she originally found in a British magazine. It's a very summery recipe, light with lingering flavours without being too in-your-face, and I've already had it a couple of times since I got back from the UK.

You'll need:
(Feeds 4)
1 tsp oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large leeks, chopped
150g broad beans
50ml dry white wine
juice and zest of 2 lemons
300ml creme fraiche
50g grated parmesan
150g peas
275g linguine
small handful of basil, ripped
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
75g rocket (arugula)

Method:
Cook the linguine according to instructions (boil until cooked 'al dente')
While the pasta is cooking, saute the garlic and leeks in oil until soft
Stir in the beans, wine and lemon and simmer for 5 minutes
Add the creme fraiche, parmesan and peas and stir
When the linguine is cooked, drain and combine with the sauce
Add the mint, basil, rocket (arugula), stir well and serve

If you want the sauce to be even lighter, instead of the creme fraiche you can use natural plain yogurt, and instead of the wine, you can substitute rice vinegar. Either way is great.

This is another wicked recipe to make the night before and keep for lunch the next day, especially if you ride a bike to work as the energy and carbs help with the journey home!

No comments:

Post a Comment