Friday, August 19, 2011

Vegan nut butter smoothie

Breakfast: Vegan Nut butter smoothie

Lunch: Soba noodle stir fry with heaps and heaps of broccoli!

Dinner: Vegetable curry with brown rice followed by vegan cupcakes


I did not grow up in North America, and as such, I've never had much of a relationship with nut butters. I was pretty disappointed when I tried the shitty Kraft peanut butter when I moved to Canada, and my ire at this product did not disappear until I tried some organic 100% peanut butter 2 years ago. Since then, I've loved it.

Real peanut butter - the kind made by the Aztecs - contains only peanuts; it is simply the result of crushing dry roasted peanuts down into a butter-like state. In the last few years people have realised that this shouldn't just be done to peanuts, and so we've enjoyed the glorious tastes of cashew, hazlenut and almond butters too. Each one of these is mad healthy, containing protein, fiber, magnesium, vitamin B3 and good fats. Many people turn to nut butters after workouts for their qualities that help muscle repair. I hate the gym, so I just use that as an excuse to eat nut butters before I get on my bike.

This is a very simple, very tasty nut butter smoothie, and sometimes, less is more!

You'll need
(Feeds 2)
2 cups vanilla almond milk / rice milk
1 large banana
1 apple, cored
2 heaped tbsps organic 100% peanut butter
2 heaped tbsps organic 100% almond butter
ice
Method:
Blend and enjoy....then have another

A quick wiki search had just told me that there is such as a thing as macadamia butter. I've no doubt it's crazy expensive (I recently bought macadamia oil for the first time, but only because the $10 off offer meant that it was only $7) but hey, who needs to pay rent?

No comments:

Post a Comment