Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vegan nut roast

Breakfast: Granola with yogurt. Oh, how I've missed you, granola!

Lunch: Leftover vegan nut roast with a lime and beansprout salad

Dinner: Leftover pullao


Yesterday, in order to make Yorkshire puddings, I of course had to concoct some sort of roast dinner to have them with with. After researching a bit, I attempted to make my first nut roast.

I can't be doing with blandness so I threw a bit of everything in and magically it worked. Bang, done.

You'll need:
(Makes 1 loaf)
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 grated carrot
6 large mushrooms, diced
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups cashews
1 cup almonds
3 cups brown breadcrumbs
1 tbsp flour
1 cup vegetable stock
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 small handful coriander (cilantro)
sunflower oil

Method:
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius and lightly oil a loaf tin
In a heavy pan, saute the onion and garlic in a little oil until the onions become translucent
Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes
Stir in the flour and add the stock
While this is simmering, put the oats, breadcrumbs, cashews and almonds into a blender
Blend until the ingredients are finely chopped
When the stock is reduced, take the pan from the heat and stir the dry ingredients into the wet
Add the soy sauce, herbs and lime juice and form into a dough
Form this into a loaf shape and place in the pan
Cook for 35-45 minutes, or until the edge is crispy

If you eat honey, this is absolutely splendiferous with a honey-lime glaze. Just mix 2 tbsp honey with the juice of 1 lime and glaze the roast repeatedly as it cooks. So good, so very good.

I only recently had my first ever nut roast at Little G's house (my friend Claire's awesome grandma) and I loved this one as much as the first. Where did nut roast get it's bad reputation from? Totally misplaced, I'm telling you.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe is lovely! I made this last night because my boyfriend is vegan and hadn't made his own nut roast before, and he said it was better than any shop bought one he'd had. It fitted nicely in a 2lb loaf tin. The honey and lime glaze is also amazing! Wasn't sure when to put the carrot in so put it before the stock. We have tons left so bubble and squeak today plus eight portions in the freezer for quick future roasts.

    ReplyDelete